September is Fruits & Veggies–More Matters Month! Did you know that it’s recommended to fill half your plate with fruits and vegetables for each meal? Read on for clever ideas on how to sneak more fruits and veggies into your meals.
Enjoy fruits and veggies in more creative and delicious ways every day! Below are some ideas:
- Add pureed vegetables to your pasta sauce or casserole.
- Try raw zucchini slices instead of pasta sheets in your lasagna.
- Mix shredded zucchini into your brownie, quick-bread or muffin batter.
- Blend sweet potatoes into your macaroni and cheese sauce.
- Stir canned, unseasoned pumpkin puree into your pizza sauce.
- Replace jelly with slices of banana or apple in your PB&J sandwich.
- Top your bowl of cereal or oatmeal with berries, dates, bananas or raisins.
- Slice a banana lengthwise, top with a scoop of low-fat frozen yogurt, and sprinkle with a tablespoon of chopped nuts.
- Puree apples, berries, peaches or pears for a thick, sweet sauce on grilled or broiled seafood or poultry, pancakes, French toast or waffles. You can also add pureed fruit to your pancake/waffle batter.
“Clever Ways To Sneak Veggies Into Kids’ Food,” Juliette Steen, huffingtonpost.com, July 15, 2016.
“5 Ways to Sneak Veggies into Family Meals,” Penelope Wall, eatingwell.com, accessed Aug. 6, 2018.
“20 Ways to Enjoy More Fruits and Vegetables,” Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, eatright.org, 2014.