Environmental wellness is about respecting the earth and your immediate environment – and it also supports your overall wellbeing. When we’re respectful of our environment, we’re more likely to protect it. Environmental wellness promotes interaction with nature and our immediate surroundings, and encourages living harmoniously with the Earth. Read on for easy tips to enhance your environmental wellbeing.
Tip #1: Keep a reusable water bottle with you when you’re on the go.
- This helps you drink more water in addition to preventing intake of soda pop or sugary drinks.
- It reduces both the use and amount of plastic in landfills.
- Reusable water bottles are cheaper in the long run compared to buying cases of bottled water.
Tip #2: Pack your lunch for work at least three days a week.
- Homemade healthy salads, sandwiches and wraps generally have less sodium, fat and sugar compared to frozen meals or fast-food options.
- Frozen meals use a great deal of plastic and other materials in their packaging. Reducing the amount of frozen meals purchased can reduce waste.
- Using a reusable container for lunch instead of a plastic or paper bag is cheaper and also reduces waste.
Tip #3: Recycle!
- Recycling can positively influence your emotional wellbeing. You will feel better knowing you are helping to reduce waste and take care of your environment.
- Landfills release harmful greenhouse gases. Recycling reduces pollution caused by waste and reduces the need for raw materials.
- Recycling is good for the economy. Recycling helps reduce the cost of manufacturing paper and aluminum, which in turn keeps the prices down.
“Tips to Improve Your Environmental Wellbeing,” Erin Link, Illinois State University, Oct. 22, 2014.